This project, through a range of tools including community capacity building, trial/demonstration work, case studies and extension, will provide landholders on Kangaroo Island with the skills and enthusiasm to achieve targeted and strategically planned on-ground works to increase the water use of crops and pastures. This will result in increased and sustainable production with the associated environmental benefits of reducing salinity, soil erosion, nutrient loss and soil acidity.
The integrated project will deliver the following outcomes:
1. Education and capacity building through:
- Farm tours
- Visiting technical speakers
- Field days/farm walks
- Workshops – including Property Management Planning
- Best practice case studies
2. Optimisation of production with minimal environmental impacts through:
- Trial work to demonstrate new soil management options
- Strategically located on-ground works with appropriate technical advice.
Explore a range of land management reports for Kangaroo Island through Publications & Resources or contact Rural Solutions SA for results of trials conducted in 2005.
Click here for more information about the activities of Rural Solutions SA.
Other resources can be found here with case studies and hints here.
Lyn Dohle, Senior Soil and Land Management Consultant, Rural Solutions of SA, ph: (08) 8553 4949